If you are a homeowner, you know the importance of protecting your investment. It is important to know what to do if you have a carbon monoxide leak. Carbon monoxide is completely odorless, tasteless, and invisible. It should be made a priority to protect yourself, your family, and your pets from this harmful gas. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, between the years of 2010-2015 alone, a total of 2,224 people died as a result of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning. With numbers this high, taking steps to protect yourself is necessary. Read on to learn how to handle a carbon monoxide leak within your home.
“To know in order not to be disoriented,
To be able to seize the sense of the event,
To avoid mental anarchy, and to act effectively. – On Being Prepared”
― Lamine Pearlheart, To Life from the Shadows
Know The Signs Of The Presence Of a Carbon Monoxide Leak
It is important to be aware of the symptoms associated with carbon monoxide exposure. If you or someone in your house experiences any of these symptoms, carbon monoxide poisoning is possible. Symptoms include:
- Dull headache – Continuous headache in the front of your head that goes away when you leave your home.
- Weak muscles – Weakness caused by a lack of oxygen delivered to your muscles.
- Dizziness – Feeling light headed or confused, or having trouble concentrating.
- Nausea And Vomiting – Upset stomach, or vomiting without the presence of other flu-like symptoms.
- Breathing Troubles – Shortness of breath or trouble breathing.
- Drowsiness – Feeling sleepy, or having trouble staying awake.
Health Effects of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Make The Right Contacts If You Suspect Carbon Monoxide Exposure
If you suspect you have been exposed to carbon monoxide, leave the area immediately. Move outside, or at lease seek a well ventilated area. Try to gather your pets and move them as well. If you do not know their whereabouts, open several windows and doors so fresh air can get inside. Call 9-1-1 and alert the dispatcher of the medical conditions of those in your home. They will make sure you are checked by the appropriate physicians so treatment can be administered.
Do Not Return To Your Home Until It Has Been Checked Thoroughly
Emergency personnel will check your home for a possible leak of carbon monoxide if it is suspected to be the reason for your symptoms or if an alarm had gone off. Do not under any circumstances, return to your home if it is not checked as the leak could still be present. After you are given the clearance to go back inside, check on your alarm system to make sure it is working properly should a carbon monoxide leak occur again in the future. If you do not have an alarm system, it is wise to make the investment in one to protect your family against this “silent killer”.
Invest In An Alarm System If You Do Not Have One Already
If you are in need of an alarm system, or if you would like to upgrade your existing one, it can be a lifesaver when it comes to carbon monoxide exposure. An alarm will go off alerting those in the home that this gas is present. Everyone can then get outside right away, possibly thwarting unfortunate symptoms or possible death. Since you cannot detect carbon monoxide on your own by smell, taste, or sound, it is extremely important to invest in a tool to do this for you.
Protect America is ready to assist with your alarm system needs. Browse the information on our website to learn more about our systems and the features available that protect your home and those who live inside. We offer free quotes simply by filling out documentation online, helping you to find exactly the right system for your needs. We look forward to helping you protect your investment and your loved ones with top-of-the-line equipment and services that you will come to rely upon. Give us a call or reach out to us via email to find out more.
The post What to Do if You Have a Carbon Monoxide Leak appeared first on Protect America Blog.